 General / 19050
Re: The problem I have with upcoming product hoaxes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 04:55:00 GMT

In lugnet.general, Frank Filz writes:
Matthew Miller wrote:

I think you're taking this entirely too seriously. It's funny. And
furthermore, it's clearly a hoax.

That certainly wasn't the case with the train hoax, unless people like
Larry were just fueling the hoax (which I have to say if that is what
was going on is kind of depressing - that there really is that much joy
in seeing who is last to figure out that the joke is on them).

No, I fell for it, hook line and sinker. Perhaps it's because I *wanted* it to
be true, because I know that Lego is capable of far better designs than what we
are currently getting in the train line. When I finally realised these were a
hoax, I cried.

In my defense I will say this: I got to see Ben's models up close and in
person, and those pictures that were posted do NOT do them justice. They are
really awesome pieces of work.

Ben and I (mildly, and in a friendly way) disagree about whether making that
kind of joke is cruel or just a good piece of good clean fun, but I am in awe
of his skill as a (eurotrash :-) ) modeler and I am really really glad that I
was able to make time to get out to Braunschweig to see them (even IF I hadn't
went out shopping with Ben and Torsten and scored some amazing deals) when I
was in Berlin.

The Burp AT AT on the other hand clearly was intended to be a gag and it worked
fine as a gag. I got a laugh out of it. Who here didn't?

Before we all jump on Jeff, though, think about what he's saying. I think it's
a good philosophical question worthy of discussion. Do gag hoaxes do harm or
good? Do really really good hoaxes do harm or good? (harm to who? the
community, TLG, other?)

I don't know the answers. But don't condemn the questioner. "lighten up" is
dismissive of the deeper questions here.

++Lar