 General / 17790
Re: Why can't we have a Lando: Lego's Race policy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 30 Apr 2000 16:21:26 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Chris Maddison writes:
Do you realize how many problems Lego would have if they started making
non-yellow human minifigs?  First, they'd have to stop making yellow minifigs
altogether.  If they didn't, and let them slide as "caucasians", they'd be
opening themselves up to lawsuits from all over the world.  Assuming they rid
themselves of yellow as a skin color, they would then have to create a
"proper distribution" of races in all themes.  Of course, what would the
"proper distribution" be?  After all, America has a different ethnic
distribution than Europe, Africa, or India.  Also, what about all the
variations in skin color? Hopefully you can see that this is not feasible for
a company like Lego to do.  They'd be opening themselves up to lawsuits and
critisism from people the world over.

Lego, Please stick with yellow as the universal human minifig color...

Jeff

Aye, true.  But, as I said before, this particular theme is based in something
real.  This is the first time that TLC has made minifigs based on real live
people, and I question their stand on it, because it doesn't make sense to
me.

Luke and Han are not alive.  Mark Hammil and Harrison Ford just depicted the
Characters for our entertainment.  :)

They strive for accuracy, especially in the Star Wars line, (even if they
do a sometimes bad job of it) and I don't know why they don't make minifigs
accurate as well.

The minifigs *are* accurate.  The Han Solo minifig is a minifig depiction of
Han Solo, just as Harrison Ford was a human depiction of Han Solo.  The minifg
is not a depiction of Harrison Ford as Han Solo.

Also, kind of a thing for the entire thread:  Does anyone else notice that all
these different race sets (the Indian set in particular) are all rather old?

1997 is old??  What're trying to do, make me feel like an old fogie?  I'm only
20!  :D

If you're talking about the Big People Native American set, then, yes, that is
old.  But notice how that set is the only one ever made with a different
colored human minifig?  Perhaps they recieved a number of complaints.

Even 5 years ago society didn't have this "need" to be politically correct.
What is it with people now?  Everyone is afraid that what they say might not
be accepted as the "norm."  I say speak your mind; don't let someone else
dictate it.  If I have something to say, I say it.  Granted, sometimes it's
tactless, but it's my opinion.  THEN I worry about what others think, and
respond accordingly.

I try to be pollitically correct because I see it as being polite.  Also,
sometimes politically correct is just that: Correct.  For Example, I try not to
call Native Americans "Indians" because they are not from India.  :)

Jeff