 Star Wars / 6968
Re: Why can't we have a Lando: Lego's Race policy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 29 Apr 2000 19:21:01 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Chris Maddison writes:
I was snooping through Brickset today, and came upon something.  TLC has
firmly taken a stand on the race issue, saying that they give children yellow
heads and let them play with them however they want to.  They say they don't
take sides when it comes to race and ethnic background.  But, I found these
Duplo sets (5089, 5090, 5091) that are families from 1996.  African-American,
Asian, and Hispanic, respectively.  So, if TLC has taken such a firm position
on not making alternate colored heads for Lego Systems, why can Duplo slide
by?  I want a Lando fig, and Billy Dee Williams ain't yellow!
-Chris

At Lego's Imagination Center at the Mall of America in Twin Cities MN, there
are many large "minifigs" made out of regular lego bricks.  Several of them are
African American.  I have pictures, I just need to scan them.  I find it
interesting that TLG won't make brown colored heads, but they will construct
giant "minifigs" with brown colored heads.  (all they gotta do is pour some
brown plastic into one of the minifig head molds!  It's not that difficult!)

-Bryan