 Star Wars / 6992
Re: Why can't we have a Lando: Lego's Race policy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 30 Apr 2000 18:26:10 GMT

Aye, true.  But, as I said before, this particular theme is based in • something
real.  This is the first time that TLC has made minifigs based on real live
people, and I question their stand on it, because it doesn't make sense to
me.

Luke and Han are not alive.  Mark Hammil and Harrison Ford just depicted the
Characters for our entertainment.  :)

That's what I meant...

They strive for accuracy, especially in the Star Wars line, (even if they
do a sometimes bad job of it) and I don't know why they don't make minifigs
accurate as well.

The minifigs *are* accurate.  The Han Solo minifig is a minifig depiction of
Han Solo, just as Harrison Ford was a human depiction of Han Solo.  The minifg
is not a depiction of Harrison Ford as Han Solo.

True.  So depict Lando instead of Billy Dee.  No problems there.

Also, kind of a thing for the entire thread:  Does anyone else notice that • all
these different race sets (the Indian set in particular) are all rather old?

1997 is old??  What're trying to do, make me feel like an old fogie?  I'm only
20!  :D

If you're talking about the Big People Native American set, then, yes, that is
old.  But notice how that set is the only one ever made with a different
colored human minifig?  Perhaps they recieved a number of complaints.

The latter.

Even 5 years ago society didn't have this "need" to be politically correct.
What is it with people now?  Everyone is afraid that what they say might not
be accepted as the "norm."  I say speak your mind; don't let someone else
dictate it.  If I have something to say, I say it.  Granted, sometimes it's
tactless, but it's my opinion.  THEN I worry about what others think, and
respond accordingly.

I try to be pollitically correct because I see it as being polite.  Also,
sometimes politically correct is just that: Correct.  For Example, I try not • to
call Native Americans "Indians" because they are not from India.  :)

Jeff

You can be polite and not be politically correct.  I was brought up (I'm 17)
calling Native Americans "Indians."  I do not think this is inaccurate; no
more than "Native Americans," unless they called it America and not the
Spanish or whoever...

I understand your point, and I don't disagree with you.  People should be
polite and correct.  But, that doesn't change the fact that people want
Lando.  I just wondered how this all would work out (if they even make him at
all) and how they would handle it.
-Chris