 Star Wars / 6984
Re: Why can't we have a Lando: Lego's Race policy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 30 Apr 2000 15:50:00 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Shiri Dori writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Jeff Johnston writes:
Personally, I think it'd be a giant step *backwards* for LEGO to make a brown
Lando.  Make him yellow, like everyone else!  Humans are yellow in LEGOland,
that's all there is to it.

Ah! But not ALL humans. I don't see yellow duplo figs, nor yellow SCALA or BV
figs either. Those are depicited as "caucasian"... TLC has a semi-double-
standard thing going on, either way (as Jeff mentioned) they are in for big
flammage... if they suddenly make a non-yellow minifig, though, it will be
quite weird. I agree with you, Jeff - they should stick with yellow, at least
in minifigs.

-Shiri

Aye, you both make good points.  But the thing about this is that it's not
Legoland, it's Star Wars land.  This is the first time (I believe) that Lego
has tackled something like this.  They're making Lego figs of REAL people.  I
think that they should at least TRY to be accurate.  A yellow Han Solo is
accurate because yellow is widely accepted as a color for "white lego people,"
as well as asian or some other decent.  But yellow is not accurate for a black
guy.  And I don't say black in a derogatory sense; I just hate repeating
African-American over and over.  That's politically correct, and as many of
you know, I'm not.  So, I say that TLC should look at this from two views.  1)
We need to be accurate to the Star Wars line, since it IS based on real
people.  2) We need to keep a non-ethnic and non-racial "happy medium" in the
system sets.  Now it is just a question of choosing the "lesser of two
evils."  And, like Shiri, I question why they don't have convictions for using
non-yellow heads in Scala and Belville and such.
-Chris