 Star Wars / 7075
Re: Why can't we have a Lando: Lego's Race policy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 2 May 2000 14:45:34 GMT

Hi everyone - I'm new.

I've been reading through a lot of the comments about the Lando figure, and my
feelings are that surely it's all getting a bit deep.  As far as I'm concerned,
one important point is that we may well get a Lando figure in the near future -
it's just that there has been no obvious vehicle/playset with which to release
him.  (Although I admit they could have thought of bringing him out with the
Desert skiff.)  They could yet bring him out with a Cloud Car because, after
all, although he never drives one (does he?) we don't know what he uses for
transport after hours, so to speak.

The second point, with regard to Lego's race policy, is that until the Star
Wars series, TLG hadn't ever produced minifigs designed to resemble individual
characters.  But with the Star Wars series we have seen Luke with his ambitious
and determined look, destined for greatness.  We have also seen Han with his
cocksure/cynical half-smile.  With the MF we will see Leia's beautiful
eye-lashes.  In other words TLG are trying (albeit in a toy-like way) to make
minifigs that look like the characters from the films.  And a yellow Lando just
wouldn't look like Lando.  So I think Lego can sidestep its entire race policy
in creating a Lando with a darker face by appealing to the fact that they are
simply trying to make a minifig that is identifiable as Lando, just as they
have attempted to make minifigs that are identifiable as the other characters.

I'm sorry if this is a bit long.  I'm sure you will all disagree, but that's
the nature of these things, isn't it?

Huw