 Star Wars / 7024
Re: Why can't we have a Lando: Lego's Race policy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2000 20:18:24 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Chris Maddison writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Mike Petrucelli writes:

Yep, both the Islanders and Indians did have yellow heads.  But, once again,
those weren't based on one SPECIFIC person.  I say that TLC should go for an
accurate portrayal, if they make Lando and Mace (forgot about him...)
-Chris

What color head does Luke, Han, Obi-wan, Qui-gon, etc. have?  Yellow.  Why?
Because all living, healthy, "human" mini-figs are yellow.  If TLC makes a
Lando or Mace mini-fig it will be yellow just like all the rest.  Luke, Han,
etc. don't have tan heads so it would be illogical for Lando to have a brown
one.  All three of those CHARACTERS (they are not real) are human.  All Lego
humans are yellow so...

I *know* they're characters.  Here's my point.  Tell me the name of the guy
who is portrayed by the Indian Cheif.  The actual guy.  There isn't one!  It's
just a generic figure.  Now, I can tell you the names of the guys who are
portrayed by the Luke and Han figs.  They are Luke Skywalker and Han Solo.
These are no different than the Indian Cheifs or King Kahukas.  What makes
them different is that Mark Hammill and Harrison Ford portrayed Luke and Han.

But that makes them absolutly NO DIFFERENT as a mini-fig.  If mini-Han and
mini-Luke had tan heads then it would make sense for mini-Lando to have a brown
head.  However they are not based on the actors.  Mini-Luke and mini-Han have
yellow heads even though Mark Hammill and Harrison Ford do not.  So it would
make sense for mini-Lando to have a yellow head even though Billy Dee Williams
does not.

It's kind of a "double portrayal" thing.  That's my point.

But it is not as the above explains

-Lord Insanity
(who is still trying to figure out why people don't understand that skin
pigmentation doesn't change one's race, that of human.)

I apologize.  You're right that "race" is the wrong word.  Insert word that I
can't think of in it's place (something like ethnic background?)
-Chris

Ethnic backround also has nothing to do with the amount of pigmentation in
one's skin.

-Lord Insanity