 Star Wars / 7032
Re: Why can't we have a Lando: Lego's Race policy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2000 21:01:38 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Mike Petrucelli writes:

If mini-Han and mini-Luke had tan heads then it would make sense for mini-
Lando to have a >brown head.  However they are not based on the actors.

  But what you're not incorporating into this assertion is the fact that, at
least on some level, the development of the characters was influenced by the
actors themselves.  Luke's run-in with the Wampa (sp?) was dictated by an
accident suffered by Mark Hammill.  The execrable Last Crusade went out of its
way to explain in the opening vignette how Harrison Ford's chin-scar appeared
on Indy's face.  To assert that the characters exist in a void completely
separate from the actors is to do a gross disservice to the actors portraying
them and the writers writing them.  As such, whether they "should" or
"shouldn't," the figures *do* represent the actors, if only at one step's
removal.

Mini-Luke and mini-Han have yellow heads even though Mark Hammill and
Harrison Ford do not.  So it would make sense for mini-Lando to have a yellow
head even though Billy Dee Williams does not.

  If this were strictly true, then I think a case could be made that Vader's
head should also have been yellow; since there's no "genetic" reason for him
to have been gray, the mini-head should have been the same uniform color as
all the other human denizens of the Lego universe.

Lord Insanity
(who is still trying to figure out why people don't understand that skin
pigmentation doesn't change one's race, that of human.)
Ethnic backround also has nothing to do with the amount of pigmentation in
one's skin.

  While these tired statements are, strictly speaking, true, they do nothing
to defuse the very real problems of perceived racial identity, ethnicity, and
intercultural friction.  Obviously there’s no "race" gene, any more than
there’s an "English-speaking" gene, but people have been doing a great job of
persecuting other "races" for millennia, and a simple linguistic confection
isn’t going to change that.

     Dave!