 General / 16960
Re: What's your LEGO Specialty?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 00:00:28 GMT

Frank Filz <ffilz@mindspring.com> writes:

I also have a strong interest in space and
adventurers, and supposedly an interest in Technic/Mindstorms (that's
what got me started, but I haven't done much since the first robot I
built).

Hmm. So I'm not the only AFOL who came out of the Dark Ages to get into
Mindstorms, but then got sidetracked into non-robotic lego.

Being a computer scientist by trade, the programming of Mindstorms doesn't
faze me, but I have trouble with building the mechanical parts.

I had a large childhood Lego collection, but being the early-mid 1960s,
it was mostly 2x4 bricks with some doors, windows, and roof tiles.
So not surprisingly, I tended to create buildings.  Since my dark
ages commenced in the late 60s, the whole technics thing is new to me. So
I'm exploring the mysteries of motors, gears, universal joints, and all
sorts of connectors by building large models and then experimenting with
them. Even Lego hinges are new to me. And pneumatics -- I don't even know
where to start. Incidentally, any recommendations for currently available
sets which are a good introduction to pneumatics?

Anyhow, so my plan was to enhance my mechanical engineering skills
(and my spare part collection) by buying Technics, and then go back to
the robotics.

However, looking at the sets I recently bought would suggest that the
plan is going seriously astray. I'm not sure that sets like the 6982
Explorien Starship or the 7150 Star Wars Tie-fighter and Y-wing fighter
are really improving my knowledge of mech eng principles :-)

Lego, it's fun, but it's addictive. Why did I waste 30 years in the
dark ages?

Kerry

Dr Kerry Raymond, Distinguished Research Fellow     E-mail: kerry@dstc.edu.au
CRC for Enterprise Distributed Systems Technology      Phone: +61 7 3365 4310
University of Queensland 4072 Australia                  Fax: +61 7 3365 4311