 General / 16921
Re: What's your LEGO Specialty?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 08:24:19 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Wayne R Hussey wrote:

I was just browsing and noticed one LUGNETter asking another "what is your
LEGO Specialty?"

I thought this might be an interesting question to ask the whole group.

So, what is YOUR LEGO specialty?

Oooh, good question.  Kudos humongos, or some other flippantly misspelled term of
approbation.  ;)

Mine is collecting individual elements, building space ships and other
vehicles. I have catalogued approximately 2,600 different elements spanning
all LEGO themes and age groups - from Duplo through Technic and Znap, Fabuland
through Scala - you name it. I've built many larger space ships and dozens of
smaller ones. Plus large custom models of a 727, a ferry boat, racing cars,
etc.

Hmmm...well, I have three specialties, really, and in the spirit of those who have
answered non-LEGO-thematically, I will instead answer "lugnet.thematically":

-.boats/.pirates = I build large, semi-accurate minifig scale WWI-era warships
(but recently an 1860s French ironclad).

-.off-topic = I'm the professional historian of the bunch--not the LEGO historian
(that's Gary by a country parsec)--but I enjoy drawing context for models and
themes.  Yes, I'm making use of those four degrees...

-.shopping/.b-s-t = I'll have to toss down the "bragging contest" gauntlet here,
but I think I've become one of the LEGO retail shoppers par excellence over the
last two years.  I put in an enormous amount of time (and mileage!) driving
around, schmoozing retail managers, and collecting the fruits of my efforts at a
fraction of retail.  And yet, somehow they like me!  I usually then turn around
(here's the .b-s-t) and pass them along to the group at a couple bucks' profit a
set--just enough to keep a tenth or so for myself and cover my original outlay.  I
enjoy "spreading the wealth"--it's a good feeling--especially when I get to wallow
in a little bit of it myself.  :)  (Yeah, yeah, I do a handful of auctions, but
I'm small potatoes on that front, and again, it's to recoup my costs.)

Yet despite these three, I find myself dreaming of building a large starship.  I
guess that's the beauty of the Brick--it drags you in all sorts of neat
directions.

best

Lindsay