 General / 16899
Re: What's your LEGO Specialty?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 21:45:38 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.general, Wayne R. Hussey writes:
I was just browsing and noticed one LUGNETter asking another "what is your
LEGO Specialty?"

I thought this might be an interesting question to ask the whole group.

So, what is YOUR LEGO specialty?

Good question, excellent topic, and good distinction (I sense that when we say
specialty we are distinguishing from "what is your favorite theme").

Although wags might say mine is stirring up trouble, I personally see
myself as having a specialty in several areas, including the following:

- Moving the state of the art forward in modelbuilding, (especially in trains)
by my own work and by assisting (and critiquing) others and their work
- completeness in "themes" (1) that I like (I am complete in the
themes/subthemes I want to be complete in)
- Contributing to the Lugnet community by asking hard questions and by
participating in community shaping discussions around what is possible and what
is desirable
- Interacting with other members of the community, meeting as many AFOLs as I
can in real life, making online friends (and enemies) and having fun and
spirited discussions, about Lego and other things
- Fostering the growth of clubs and organizations
- Pushing the envelope of fan sponsored e-commerce (more on this soon)

Note that some things I do (such as factoring and such as buying mass
quantities of things and reselling some of them and such as sorting parts) are
not areas of "interest", they're plumbing to enable what I *am* interested in

Again, great post, thanks!

1 - whatever TLG decides to call them... Monorail is one "completeness area"
although the sets span space and town, if you see what I am saying

++Lar