 General / 16052
  What non-LEGO entities are lurking in your LEGO collection?

I sort most of my bricks by size and color. However, I have a large catch-all bin (about 2 feet by 3 feet by 1 foot) if miscellaneous parts that haven't yet been sorted. This bin includes portions of my childhood collection as well as collections (...) (24 years ago, 7-Mar-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: What non-LEGO entities are lurking in your LEGO collection?

(...) Some of the stuff I've found include: -A light green crayon -Bits and pieces of a wind up helicopter thing that I never knew how to work when it was whole (probably 7-8 years ago) -Tons of decals full of carpet fuzz (well, I guess these do (...) (24 years ago, 7-Mar-00, to lugnet.general)

Brad Hamilton <bhamilto1@home.com> wrote in message news:Fr145s.IqG@lugnet.com... (...) Whenever I go home and dig through my brothers' collection (there are a lot of my old parts mixed in with his - as I rebuild sets I go through his bins to find (...) (24 years ago, 7-Mar-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: What non-LEGO entities are lurking in your LEGO collection?

Right now, I don't have any old un-sorted lego, because it's in storage, far away from me. However, when I did, I used to constantly find non-lego stuff. Me in my cousin got into a habit of setting them aside in order to organize the collection - (...) (24 years ago, 7-Mar-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: What non-LEGO entities are lurking in your LEGO collection?

(...) Only a handful of old "Battleship" game pegs in red and white; they fit in a LEGO cylinder stud hole perfectly and served as "torpedoes" for my fighters. best Lindsay (24 years ago, 7-Mar-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: What non-LEGO entities are lurking in your LEGO collection?

(...) this is too fun... Old Lego collection detritus: Some Toggle Toys - colorful .5" cubes with holes or pegs on the faces, one face swings open. A trace amount of FischerTechnik One Playmobil ax A funny orange plastic connector, shaped like a (...) (24 years ago, 7-Mar-00, to lugnet.general)

Are you trying to make me druel with that off-hand airport shuttle reference??? I'd LOVE to have one of those sets! Will Hess <willhess@simflex.com> wrote in message news:Fr171x.Hyx@lugnet.com... (...) lot of (...) to find (...) another (...) (24 years ago, 7-Mar-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: What non-LEGO entities are lurking in your LEGO collection?

(...) I found these in somebody else's 1981-era collection: 1 blue 2x3 brick from the 60's (acetate whatever) A similar white 2x4 Hey, these might be clones, but they're GOOD clones! a broken red 2x10 plate 3 of those chunky hollow soft plastic (...) (24 years ago, 7-Mar-00, to lugnet.general)

  (canceled)

  Re: What non-LEGO entities are lurking in your LEGO collection?

What, separated from (the bulk of) your LEGO bricks? How can you stand it? Actually, when I moved out of my parents house into a condo, I didn't have room for my LEGO collection, so I "convinced" myself I was too old for them anyhow. Now that I (...) (24 years ago, 7-Mar-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: What non-LEGO entities are lurking in your LEGO collection?

I forgot. I also have some bits and pieces of old Micronaut toys. These were my favorites prior to my discovering LEGO. They were made up of interchangeable pieces as well. They were popular in about 1973-77. Did anyone play with these? Brad (...) (24 years ago, 7-Mar-00, to lugnet.general)

I wonder if they were attempting to clean the plates with the belt-sander. Before I discovered Brasso, sanding was a desparation move for rare white pieces that were discolored or dirty. Erik Olson <olsone@spamcop.net> wrote in message (...) (24 years ago, 7-Mar-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: What non-LEGO entities are lurking in your LEGO collection?

Brad, What was that about using Brasso to clean discolored white pieces?????? How does it work??? Please reply Power on, Andrew (24 years ago, 7-Mar-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: What non-LEGO entities are lurking in your LEGO collection?

I posted a message about 2 days ago on this subject (look upwards in your news browser about 15 messages). Brasso is a brass cleaner that you can pick up at any hardware or similar store. You rub it on with cotton or an old rag and it takes the (...) (24 years ago, 7-Mar-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: What non-LEGO entities are lurking in your LEGO collection?

(...) All the time -- they were much easier to get than Star Wars figures! Eventually, though, the play value fell victim to the screwdriver! The varieties of peg and connector families gave place to studying the types of screws and the proper tools (...) (24 years ago, 7-Mar-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: What non-LEGO entities are lurking in your LEGO collection?

(...) This operation couldn't have been much success!! There are four stubby ends of plates which were gnawed through by abrasion from below. Perhaps it was a severe cure for glued-on pieces, that went too far. I've got to get some Brasso! (24 years ago, 7-Mar-00, to lugnet.general)

Oh Yeah! I had that set. I remember that one. It had a little lever so you could make the elevator turn based on the car's wheels. Do you remember BioTron and GyroCopter? Erik Olson <olsone@spamcop.net> wrote in message news:Fr1BCC.97o@lugnet.com... (...) (24 years ago, 7-Mar-00, to lugnet.general)

Brad Hamilton <bhamilto1@home.com> wrote in message news:Fr18J9.FD@lugnet.com... (...) No, I wasn't trying to make you drool :-) It's just a running gag between Drew and I. I'll come across a part for it and ask him when he's gonna let me take it (...) (24 years ago, 7-Mar-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: What non-LEGO entities are lurking in your LEGO collection?

YOu know, I have some gear type things in my legos that I'm not sure are lego or not. I inherited an ugly green suitcase full of legos from my cousins long before I recognized the power it held. (Hmm hwoo hwoo hwoo) But there are these gears with (...) (24 years ago, 7-Mar-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: What non-LEGO entities are lurking in your LEGO collection?

(...) Like the ones in <set: 800> ? Check out the historic gear sets: (URL) (24 years ago, 7-Mar-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: What non-LEGO entities are lurking in your LEGO collection?

(...) Thanks, I couldn't for the life of me remember just WHY you had to park the car there. I would put the elevator column in the horizontal position and use it to suck in a hapless victim. (...) BioTron was the big big guy, right? Never had him. (...) (24 years ago, 7-Mar-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: What non-LEGO entities are lurking in your LEGO collection?

(...) For the most part detritus is right! I have found much of what others have found. In addition, here are some memorable finds: Once I found a bucket at a flea market, and when I got it home and dumped it out on the kitchen floor, a cockroach (...) (24 years ago, 7-Mar-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: What non-LEGO entities are lurking in your LEGO collection?

(...) Why didn't you tell your parents that the junk does not go in the lego box? -- Jonathan Wilson wilsonj@xoommail.com (URL) (24 years ago, 7-Mar-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: What non-LEGO entities are lurking in your LEGO collection?

(...) I pulled out all the non-LEGO stuff when I sorted my collection, but they're now all in another box...my list looks very much the same as yours! I've got: a GI Joe figure (the white ninja) plastic model pieces and tiny (3/4") army men coins (...) (24 years ago, 7-Mar-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: What non-LEGO entities are lurking in your LEGO collection?

sinp some weird foreign coin that feels like (...) reverse) That sounds like a malaysian one ringgit coin.those curved daggers are known as kris and were used by warriors....if you need more info tell me ravi (24 years ago, 7-Mar-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: What non-LEGO entities are lurking in your LEGO collection?

(...) Why didn't you put the non lego stuff in another drawer or toybox or whatever? That would make sense. -- Jonathan Wilson wilsonj@xoommail.com (URL) (24 years ago, 7-Mar-00, to lugnet.general)

Brad Hamilton wrote in message ... <snip> (...) Last year I found a Majisto's Magical Workshop at TRU. The box was taped on both ends, but I couldn't help but take the chance that it *might* be complete. (It was missing a 1x3 black plate and a (...) (24 years ago, 7-Mar-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: What non-LEGO entities are lurking in your LEGO collection?

(...) What separated me from my lego was a move from Israel to the US. I had too much to fit in a suitcase or two, and my parents said flat-out no to shipping anything - costs are enormous. So I took as many parts as I possibly could, including all (...) (24 years ago, 7-Mar-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: What non-LEGO entities are lurking in your LEGO collection?

(...) to (...) They weren't my parents, but my aunt and uncle... so I couldn't tell them what to do - unlike my parents ;-) (j/k) -Shiri (24 years ago, 7-Mar-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: What non-LEGO entities are lurking in your LEGO collection?

(...) It would make sense. But my cousin and I weren't sensible girls... we just wanted to build. We'd always have limited time, and wanted to get as much done as possible. We lived 3-hr drive from each other, and would only visit each other once (...) (24 years ago, 7-Mar-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: What non-LEGO entities are lurking in your LEGO collection?

(...) It could very well be. I'll dig it out and maybe post a picture... (...) Hmm...I thought kris generally had 'wavy' blades (like the wiggly snakes) instead of just curved blades? Or are there kinds that are just curved, as well? J (24 years ago, 7-Mar-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: What non-LEGO entities are lurking in your LEGO collection?

(...) The most interesting things I've found in my collection are: A 2" metal rivet (That's three of us! A friend told me about those!) The shoulder cannon from the original Soundwave Transformer (Now my friend's Soundwave is almost (...) (24 years ago, 7-Mar-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: What non-LEGO entities are lurking in your LEGO collection?

That's it! That's so cool. You really made my day. Thanks Erik. (Plus the bonus is that I can download some plans to use them) Markus (...) (24 years ago, 7-Mar-00, to lugnet.general)

Shiri Dori <shirid@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:Fr25nE.KEu@lugnet.com... (...) the (...) Ah! This explains (in part) the heavy predominance of minifigs over other pieces on your web site. (...) have (...) and (...) just a (...) in (...) Not (...) (24 years ago, 8-Mar-00, to lugnet.general)

ooooh - I never thought about aquiring LEGO from garage sales. I'll have to check that out! Maggie Cambron <mcambron@pacbell.net> wrote in message news:38C4989E.10C757...ell.net... (...) have found. (...) it out on (...) of (...) sale I (...) at all (...) (24 years ago, 8-Mar-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: What non-LEGO entities are lurking in your LEGO collection?

(...) This looks like a good place to step in with my own, "what I've found in with the Lego" story(ies). First, Shiri, thanks for the plug, just remember, I did not pay you for it, LOL. Seriously, imitation is the greatest form of flattery. Brad, (...) (24 years ago, 8-Mar-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: What non-LEGO entities are lurking in your LEGO collection?

(...) Just giving credit where credit is due... and I love your mythical creatures. (...) I would've used that piece -- if I had it... looks beeter than the silly dragon wings... -Shiri (24 years ago, 8-Mar-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: What non-LEGO entities are lurking in your LEGO collection?

(...) It shouldn't, it just makes it a nightmare, (matched with a black horse); a suitible steed for some dark knight, or evil king. It's always preferable to balance the good with the evil. Supports conflict and moves a story along. Rich -- Have (...) (24 years ago, 8-Mar-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: What non-LEGO entities are lurking in your LEGO collection?

(...) If your LEGO is USA LEGO, then you are talking about set 001 - the USA/Canada Samsonite LEGO gears set (circa 1968-70). The largest sizes were red and blue, with yellow and white the smaller sizes of gears. These gears could be attached to (...) (24 years ago, 8-Mar-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: What non-LEGO entities are lurking in your LEGO collection?

I asked my little brother about the gears. He knows we still have them but they're buried somewhere deep in the recesses of Knobhead. This sounds like a job for Johnny Thunder... It's entirely possible that it's from a European set. My aunt, if I (...) (24 years ago, 8-Mar-00, to lugnet.general)