 General / 16135
Re: What non-LEGO entities are lurking in your LEGO collection?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 15:33:51 GMT

Markus Wolf wrote:

That's it!  That's so cool.  You really made my day.  Thanks Erik.  (Plus the
bonus is that I can download some plans to use them)

Markus

In lugnet.general, Erik Olson writes:
In lugnet.general, Markus Wolf writes:
YOu know, I have some gear type things in my legos that I'm not sure are lego
or not.

Like the ones in <set: 800> ?

Check out the historic gear sets:
http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=gears

Wait a moment, Markus

If your LEGO is USA LEGO, then you are talking about set 001 - the USA/Canada
Samsonite LEGO gears set (circa 1968-70).  The largest sizes were red and blue,
with yellow and white the smaller sizes of gears.  These gears could be attached to
the wheels of that era (the red wheel with gray rubber and white axle bricks), or
to 4x4 turntable bricks (which have existed at least since 1964).

The European sets 800/801/802 were a different gear type.  These are not compatible
with the Samsonite LEGO gears.  They had special axles and axle bricks (with lots
of holes) that were not produced in the Samsonite sets.  These European gears were
also different because the large gear was yellow, and the smaller ones were blue or
red.  I don't even remember a white gear in the European sets.

My 2 cents,
Gary Istok