 General / 15599
Re: My Non-LEGO family experiance (Nice Story)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 18:48:07 GMT

David Eaton wrote:

In lugnet.general, Eric Kingsley writes:
...[snip]...
I don't mind it that much although I don't think they understood that I don't
"play" with LEGO I build/model with LEGO.  The playing is OK but it doesn't
get the creative juices flowing.

Highly agreed-- as a kid I built models, then played with them acting out
stories, etc.... now I mainly just build and display. But people still think of
it as playing... Notice that nobody has a second thought about adults who build
models (WWII planes, etc.) or do model railroading; but building with Lego just
elicits a 'childish' image for most people.

...[snip]...
Now they all think my "hobby" is great and that I might not be as crazy as
they thought.

It's always great to hear about stories like these-- Making believers from
non-believers! It's good to know that people really can gain respect for the
Lego hobby :)

DaveE

And even if other folks do frown upon it, you can always point them to the
thousands of us that make up the LUGNET/RTL AFOL community.

Back in 1986 when I "came out of the LEGO closet", it was a different matter.  I
percieved myself to be alone in this endeavor (I know, how pretentious! - the LEGO
equivalent of us being alone in the universe).  But the response I got was
surprisingly possitive.  Of all my coworkers, only one had a snide remark to make
about LEGO.  He called it "toys for boys".  I then asked him what he wanted to be
when he grew up?

But when I was on TV in the USA/Canada in '87 (LEGO not just for kids), I got
overwhelmingly possitive response.  Even my old (retired) 6th grade teacher called
my parents house to tell them how proud she was of me.

For anyone who hasn't told others about their LEGO addiction, let me tell you, you
will be surprised with the possitive response (unless you happen to be an 18 year
old male, who's cool buddies think more about cars, sports and girls - 18 is a
difficult age for LEGO).

Gary Istok