 Off-Topic / Debate / 4304
Re: My Non-LEGO family experiance (Nice Story)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 23:10:36 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeff Johnston writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Shiri Dori writes:
In lugnet.general, Jeff Johnston writes:

Wow, I didn't think the US was that bad...what makes Israel so much
better?

Nothing is BAD about the US specifically - I'm just not getting along here.
Kids aren't very friendly in my school, I don't like the cold weather, I miss
my house, family and friends.

Ahh. I wondered if it was something like this.  I do know what you mean -
I spent a semester in London while I was in college, with none of my close
friends there.  I only got through by keeping very busy, and spending way
too much money at the cyber-cafe checking my email!

:-) (glad I have cable connection to the net)

I'm trying to keep busy as well. Now you know the real reason I'm
hogging .castle ;)

On the other hand, I wouldn't have traded that experience for anything,
even through all of the loneliness and stuff, because I got to see a whole
lot of things that I never would have had an opportunity to see otherwise.

Right. This isn't my first time living in the US, and the previous one (ages 3-
6) literally made me a billingual... This time around I'm becoming fluent with
terms that you don't use in speech but often use in other areas (e.g. I didn't
know what a hypotenuse was :-) .
And my English skills are getting better every day, and events of 'not knowing
the word' are decreasing in frequency...
I know I'll thank my parents eventually...  it's just hard to do it now.

Basically, it's been eight months since I've moved here, and I don't have
anyreal thing that would make me want to stay, other than material stuff -
which, whatever you say or think, don't really cut it.

No, you're right, they don't. Not at all.

Glad you see my point :)

Wow. I really hope you do find reasons to enjoy your stay here.

Me 2... my mom keeps saying that by the time we'll have to leave, I'll be
begging to stay... All I can say is, I hope so.

I'd help,
but changing the weather is beyond my abilities at this point in time.

Really? I was convinced you were capable of anything... ;-)

Maybe you should learn to ski?

Heh. The truth is, the snow is the least of my concerns. I really don't mind
some occasional snowfall (don't get many in Israel) and I can stand the cold,
even though I don't love it. It's just another one of those things that I'm
not extremely happy about.

Oh, another thing I don't like is the US school system. Not my cup of tea :)
If you want to debate that, go ahead. I can rant about that for a long time,
and I even have some good arguments, waiting for good use... :)

-Shiri