 Off-Topic / Debate / 4308
Re: My Non-LEGO family experiance (Nice Story)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 03:36:36 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Shiri Dori writes:
Hi Dan,

First off, nice to meet you! I don't think we talked before, but I think [your
wife?] Jennifer told me you're from Israel.

quite possible - though I think we talked on the lugnet.loc.Yisrael... hurmph -
need to write to Todd about that.

heh, I feel I need to jump in here too - Since I was in a very very similar
situation.  I'm from israel, originally, and lived in boston for a couple of
years when I was 4 (got the bilingual thing you mentioned later) and again
when
I was a junior in highschool (got the "cold" social life thing).  Then I • moved
back to Israel, went to the army and university.

Wow, that is too similar to what's happening to me... only with a one year
delay (first moved at 3, now a soph :) . I also will return to Israel, go to
the army for sure and university very likely (1). Not to mention I live in
Boston now... weird, huh?

heheh, apparently it's not that rare...  When I lived in Brookline (which is
not Brooklyn, NY), there were about 30 Israelis at BHS around my age...

But through the years, I
kept coming back here to visit (friends I made online and live here, my
parents
moved here again for a couple of years, and of course, to ski [1]).

By here you mean US? Or Israel? (And what's the reference?)

(oops, I forgot!)
[1] I love to ski, which I picked up when I lived in boston.  Never went skiing
in Israel, only once in europe.  Every year (well 6-7 times) me and my brother
flew over to the US for a week or two to ski and visit friends.  Oddly enough,
since I moved to DC, 1.5 years ago, I havn't went skiing!

I'm sure I'll come visit the US - maybe I can be an honorary member of NELUG
after I turn 18 (although I'll live in Israel :) ... And even if I don't have
anyone to visit I'll have to come periodically and get some lego deals ;)

I think NELUG are good about LD members - I'm a member from DC :)

And I
found out, in these visits, that I get along with people in the US BETTER • than
I do back home!

Interesting... maybe because Israelis have a tendency to become involved in
other people's business... :)
(Not that I mind, I like people being generally interested in what I do more
than people being totally uncaring about me.)

I like people's interest too - I guess I just found the people who _are_
interested...

(1) I'll definitely *go* to college or university, just not sure if in Israel.

Nod, I had to debate that too - two things made up my mind to go to BGU
(Ben-Gurion university, Beer-sheva, Israel):
1.  After 3 years of traveling every week base-home, I decided I want to be
local for a bit.
2.  I thought that getting a degree in english would be harder than in hebrew.
Little did I know that most EE studies are in english anyway...

:)

Dan