 Dear LEGO / 2572
Re: Are you paying attention, LEGO?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 19:04:26 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.general, Tim Courtney writes:

This paragraph REALLY worries me:

Mega Bloks® is a worldwide leader in building blocks with sales in over 100
countries. The MEGA BLOKS® system features basic, theme and licensed
construction toys for boys and girls of all ages and adult collectors. Many
new and innovative construction sets have been introduced in 2000. As a
multiple Dr. Toy, Parents Choice and Early Childhood News award-winner, Mega
Bloks® remains focused on marketing fun and educational products of the
highest quality. To find out more about Mega Bloks® and its new products,
visit its website at www.megabloks.com.

  Why does that worry you?  If a competitor is able to manufacture a product
that receives praise, and that product is still less popular than the
leading brand, I'd think the leading brand would be elated.  Alternatively,
if MegaBloks keeps improving the quality of its products, then the only ones
who should worry are those with singleminded and devotion to LEGO, as well
as those at TLC who are unable to respond to consumer demand and interest.
  How has LEGO responded to the presence of a competitor in the market?
Strangely, it seems, they've begun producing more and more juniorized sets
with uninteresting designs and horrible piece:price ratios.  I've heard it
put forth in earlier threads that the competitor's presence somehow forces
LEGO to dummy-down its product to compete--blaming, in effect, the
competitor for the drop in LEGO set quality, rather than some internal
decision made by TLC itself.
  Easily the best thing TLC has done in the last year is the addition of
bulk sales, as I'm sure many here would agree.  MegaBloks has answered,
indirectly perhaps, with ProBuilder models.  The "Sea Rescue" set for $19.99
includes about 120 red 2x4 bricks, about 20 white 2x4 bricks, dozens of 2x2
slopes and inverse slopes, as well as a host of plates, clear bricks, and
1x? bricks.  The other Probuilder sets are similarly well-stocked (the
Kittyhawk has 630 2x4 grey bricks!)  The presence of LEGO bulk purchasing
offsets the market power of Probuilder sets only in the range of specific
parts and colors available and in the lessening but still undeniable gap in
quality between MegaBloks and LEGO.
  If MegaBloks continues to achieve in the arena of international awards,
promotional materials, and licensing (I'm no NASCAR fan, but that was a cool
license for MB to snag), then LEGO should respond by improving the quality
of its products, rather than continuing in the proverbial downward spiral
toward full juniorization and terrible pricing.

     Dave!