Re: CBN broadcast Re: Castle World - The Gathering
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.publish
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 04:19:19 GMT

In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Chris Maddison writes:
Hi all,

(There seems to be a Geocities problem with viewing the pictures.  When
clicking on the links (doing the jump.cgi thing), you get a Geocities page
that says "These pages are not available for viewing."  But, if you c&p the
link, or click on the page link, it works fine.  Weird.)

<snip>

It's a method of bandwidth theft protection, I think.  By coding to prevent
embedded links (which the jump.cgi script probably counts as, I'm afraid)
properly pulling up images, they are preventing joe schmoe from using
pictures from a Geocities site (using Geocities bandwidth, costing Geocities
money) without having the person browsing know that the pictures are hosted
by Geocities.

It's an issue we've become familiar with since several of the pictures on my
wife's site (an info site about ravens) were getting used by other websites,
as well as in Ebay auctions and chat forums (etc), causing us to get huge
(expensive) spikes in our bandwidth usage without actually having people
visit our website, or know where the cool pictures came from.

Lugnet does this, because people were using images from the guide in their
eBay auctions without crediting Lugnet.  Brickshelf doesn't, for which I am
eternally grateful (and have to get off my lazy behind, and send Kevin a
healthy donation!) because it lets me use pictures from my Brickshelf
account in Lugnet FTX pages and my Brickbay store.

James
XFUT .publish