Re: CBN broadcast Re: Castle World - The Gathering
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 18:03:59 GMT

<snip>
All,
  I've been secretly working on charachters and such for a story, this is as
good a time as any to introduce my main one.  I know I'm not a member of
Castle World, but hope to get more into balladeering soon.  Illustration
will come later.
-John Rudy

<Omnipotent Story Teller Mode>

        “You should have responded to that Greeble Charachter!”  Fariolt
Shouted.
“That’s the third time you’ve said that in the past hour!”  Tarctus shouted
back.
        The two had been riding for at least two hours.  They had set out
about twenty minutes after the first "Isle of Mist" message came across CBN.

       Aaron Fariolt wasn’t allowed to hear it, of course.  Being a
sorcerer’s apprentice wasn’t a piece of cake. He’d been working for the
great mage Siplut Tarctus for two years, and had only been taught one spell.
Yes, he could turn a horse into a snake and back, but how useful was that?
And, Fariolt, A "Mage in Training", wasn’t even allowed to watch CBN.

       Tarctus pulled over.  “Easy Girl,” he said to Slither, his beautiful
mare.  “Seventy-Five Percent…” Fariolt trailed off.  “…of all NON-magical
treasure!”  Tarctus shouted, “we aren’t even sure there is any non-magical
treasure!”

       Fariolt walked toward the edge of the trail.  “But, there’s a chance
that…,” he said uneasily.  “There’s a chance that we can get it all if we
get there first, magical or non-magical!,” Tarctus responded, “Now, if you
don’t get back on this chariot, we won’t get there at all!”

       Fariolt reluctantly hopped on the back.  As Slither took off, he felt
the breeze in stubble on his chin.

       “A Child like you has to focus…” Tarctus ranted.

       “I am NOT a child, I’m Twenty years old,” Fariolt retorted.

       “You are an INFANT to a man of Four-Hundred and Thirty-two!,” the
master magician shouted back.

       Fariolt wanted to do it…He wanted to say, “Old Coot,” but it would
break his indenture.  He could be killed.  He was glad he had learned to
hold his tongue on the streets.

       The chariot came to a small road on the edge of a cliff.  The wheels
knocked and squealed over the rocks.  The horizon ahead of them was
darkening fast.  Raindrops were hitting Fariolt’s hat, splashing into his
face.  The chariot rocketed forward.  “It doesn’t look natural…,” Fariolt
said.  “It’s not, It’s conjured…”  As the words popped from Tarctus’ mouth,
a green lightning bolt struck the path ahead.  Slither reared, Fariolt let
out a cry, and Tarctus was thrown from the chariot.

        Fariolt was knocked unconscious.

</Omnipotent Story Teller Mode>