Re: CBN broadcast Re: Castle World - The Gathering
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 15:54:11 GMT

<ACM (1) ON>

In a secluded portion of the Grantiork foothills, a lone wizard receives
a message.

"…Should not intimidate us from working together to study and account
the ancient mysteries now being revealed in the wake of the receding
mists." Masternol leans back in his chair and contemplates what he has
just learned.

"Isle of Mist," he muses aloud. "Where have I heard of those before? Was
it in Urabithia? Or did Linzowe tell me about them?" Suddenly his face
lights up, "That's right, Relwina was discussing them at the Festival of
Rains."

Jumping up, the old man shuffles to a dark corner of his hut and begins
sifting through a trunk full of magickal paraphernalia. "No, not this
old diamond, though I WAS looking for that last week," he mutters as he
tosses it over his shoulder. "Is THAT where Rontak's Shovel disappeared
to? What the heck was this for???" Items fairly fly out of the seemingly
bottomless trunk, and soon the entire floor of the hut is littered with
mystical, glowing objects.

"Careful oldster! Keep talking to empty air like that and people'll
think yer nuts." A raucous voice suddenly interrupts his searching.

"Huh?" startled, the wizened old man looks up, a grinning skull in his
hand. "Oh, it's just you… Finally awake from your nap?" Glancing at the
skull again, Masternol tosses it towards an Obsidian Macaw perched in
another corner of the hut and returns to his search.

Hopping to the side, the ruffled bird squawks, "I doubt my former master
likes your treatment of his remains."

"Bah," Masternol scoffs, "He was lousy at cards. Deserved the fate he
got. Aha! I knew it was in here somewhere!" Triumphantly the ancient
wizard pulls a crystal stave from the dark recesses of the trunk. It
glimmers eerily in the flickering firelight.

"What'd you want that ol' stick for?" Biting at an annoying flea under
his wing, the bird seemed less than impressed.

"Didn't you catch the evening news? They've discovered the Isle of
Mist-"

"Again?"

"Yes, again. And this time Gregor, remember him from Brjunestjia? He's
invited us all along for a picnic."

"Every two hundred years some fool stumbles over them Isles. Thinks
they've got something new." Finished with the flea under his left wing,
the bird began work on his right. "So, why the stick?"

"Sometimes I wonder if you are as intelligent as you claim to be," the
old man shakes his head. "This is the key to the Hidden Grove. Somewhere
on the Southernmost Isle in the chain lies the Hidden Grove. According
to Boxeder's essay, it is a nexus of highly magickal powers."

"A nexus of highly magickal powers," the bird mimics. "SUPPOSEDLY that's
the key, you mean. You believe any carnival barker that makes it up here
to the top of your dirt mound. I remember that strumpet who claimed to
be a disciple of Lady Hydra! What was it she offered you? Entrance to
the Cave of Pleas-"

Brandishing the stave, the old mage advances on the bird, only to step
on a garnet and tumble head over heels into a pile of rusty armor.
Looking up from junk, the old man sputters, "She was a very nice young
woman with some fine knowledge and skills..."

"I know all about HER skills!" The bird squawks, "Now clean up this
mess, we've got company."

Just then, a sharp rapping came at the door. Startled, Masternol pulls
himself up from the armor and begins toward the door. "I hate when he
does that," he mutters. The knock came again, more insistent. "I'm
coming! I'm coming!" The old man huffed, "Keep your skin on!"

"Hey Gramps! Aren't you forgetting something?" The bird gestures at the
magickal detritus spread throughout the hut.

With a negligent wave of his hand, Masternol causes every object strewn
across the floor to leap back into the trunk. The winking skull of
Badarm
McCoy is the last item to disappear as the lid of the trunk snaps shut.
"Happy now?"

Nonplussed, the bird clicks his beak.

"Now, who could this be?" Masternol turns to the door.

"Your guide to the Isle of Mist you fool," the macaw snaps, tucks his
head back under his wing and dozes off.

<ACM OFF>
(Pictures to follow after Reno this weekend...)
--
Matt Brooks

1 ACM = All Character Mode