 Castle / 17714
Re: Castle Builder's Guild
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 2003 19:59:29 GMT

Richard,

My comments reside below among your own.

In lugnet.castle, Richard Marchetti wrote:
   I’m not sure I understand why any of these things need to be done outside the boundries of Lugnet and Brickshelf. Could you better detail the reasons to have a new site and why it should be independent of the existing community here?

I think this may be an effort to organize in a way similar to what other SIGs (Special Interest Groups) in the LUG community have done. For example, I know the Castle Sig spoke about “Castle Base Standards” like the Space SIG created at http://www.classic-space.com/ This enabled them to build a much larger layout than one or two people could build on their own. The standard enables people to come together an create a much larger castle/hamlet in a cooperative manner. I unfortunately missed the discussion so I do not know what was decided.

I was thinking about all that was discussed in the previous post and thought that all of that stuff could probably be done cooperatively through Lugnet and Brickshelf. For “special feature” sections you could use FTX personal pages -- just for example.

LUGNET is important and there might not be room for forums which already exist successfully here. FBTB got started during a lull in the responsiveness of the LUGNET and due to the initiative of a few to have their own cotrol over forum creation and content development. Others have create web sites that go beyond what the LUGNET web site offers.

http://www.bricksonthebrain.com/instructions/

http://www.bricksonthebrain.com/botbrail/index.cfm

http://www.bricksonthebrain.com

http://www.mocpages.com/

Ultimately, it seemed to me that such features could be added in here and the possible additional costs could be offset by money raised here for the benefit of lugnet, brickshelf, and the special castle section admins.

LUGNET might be in for growth and changes in the future, but in the immediate future the forums and the set database are what it offers (among other things).

I do not think a web site devoted to castle would be inappropriate.

I guess my larger issue is that there are already other Lego sites that I just cannot make the time to visit. I would hate to think that instead of sensibly uniting in one place to a particular purpose, we are dividing the community instead. I can see other sites popping up where language barriers exist, but not just out of hand.

-- Hop-Frog

Interesting point about the language barriers. You hit upon a global issue that unfortunately, few have begun to address. More importantly I do not know if it is within a small group of individuals to be able to overcome the language barriers that you mention. Do you have a language barrier with LUGNET?

I think what the guys propose is cool. See other posts for some limitations that I believe they need to address.

Todd