 Castle / 17706
Re: Castle Builder's Guild
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 2003 18:47:39 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Saskia van Doesburg wrote:
   You could even make a Isle-of-mist type of thing - section at the site. But maybe that’s a thing I shouldn’t speak of in this discussion. Combine info/gallery/gaming whatever you can think of, as long as it’s lego castle.

You should take this discussion in any direction you like, there are no rules.

As it stands, I was just now realizing (again!) that I have yet to finish the CW Isle of Mist archive. In my case I’m just cleaning up the html code left for me by others. No big. But it is the last thing needed to complete the existing archive.

My problem with The Isle of Mist is that it takes an enormous amount of time, effort, and creativity to make something like The Isle of Mist work. It is a sad reality that even when you come up with something great there are people that will criticize your efforts and somehow feel cheated themselves if you don’t just do everything their way. A lot of people only know how to make themselves happy, not build something sustainable in which others can participate. CW was a unique idea, and IIRC many wanted it immediately become some kind of “gaming” tool, even using traditional map making methods and etc. That’s not what the guys behind The Isle of Mist were doing, they wanted something different. I wouldn’t want someone to come up with an idea like The Isle of Mists only to disappoint the community again. I think we gained and also lost a lot of momentum with The Isle Of Mists.

BUT, that doesn’t mean something like The Isle of Mist couldn’t be tried again, I am just trying to frame the discussion in terms of the historical fallout.

BTW, CW is available to any deeply responsible person wanting to host it and love it. While I had much of the necessary energy to try and help archive the existing state of CW, I had little energy to add to the archive with new entries. The main thing would be that anyone taking it over would have to have history here that would satisfy ME. If someone took it over just to make silly changes or in any way debase the work of CW’s originators and original contributors I would just put the archive back up as it is now. All it takes is FTP and a good connection -- which I have! The current site is maintained by me at Ozbricks which comes with 50 MB of space and an email account for an admin. CW currently occupies a mere 5 MB or less of space, but I also had it in mind that the site should host all the images contained on it’s pages -- and I still need to go through and kill dead links and such. I could conceivably wrap up the archive work so that we at least have two copies of CW as it was, one online and another burned to CD or something.

Anyway, it would be wrong of me to hold back CW if there’s someone out there willing to move it forward. I just wanted it on the table that I would not hold back the possibility of CW helping to further unite or reunite the castle community again. It could even become a section of a future Castle site along the lines of ILTCO. It could also forever remain an archive with people merely linking to it, whatever...

-- Hop-Frog