 CAD / Development / 2321
2320  |  2322
Subject:
Parts with odd angles
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 07:17:52 GMT

I've recently had some trouble using parts which use some odd angles.
I'll give some examples:

o When using the 2904.DAT "Technic Motorcycle Pivot", one needs to find
  out the angle of the pivot (15°) before it is at all useable.  I found
  the angle by looking into the source and calculating it manually based
  on the slope of a quad, but I figure some may not be savvy enough to do
  so.

o The 571.DAT "Technic Liftarm  1 x  9 Bent" is often used in the position
  where the "other" end is level.  This means the the part needs to be
  rotated 53.13°.  To find that number, one needs to use some
  mathematics.  Perhaps not every LDraw users can do that.

o Connecting anything to the angled end of 32015.DAT "Technic Angle
  Connector #5" means that you'll need to know that the angle of it is
  112.5° (if I remember correctly!).  How do you know this angle?

o There are probably many minifig tools and so on, which also have odd
  angles.

Now, my point in all this is that if these angles were written out in
the name of the part, or even in one of the headers, the parts would be
much more easy to use.

What do you think?

Fredrik