 CAD / Development / 2356
2355  |  2357
Subject:
Categories (was Re: Parts with odd angles)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 18:39:55 GMT

On Thu, 15 Jul 1999 13:32:00 GMT, "Jeff Stembel" <Dragonelf1@aol.com>
wrote:

What about removing some items from "Technic"?  Like make some new categories,
such as axles, beams, and gears?  Personally I think the "Technic" category is
to big and varied.  Motors and battery boxes and such could go into electric,
and misc. technic elements would stay in "Technic".  Your thoughts?

Umm, the battery boxes and such *are* in electric.  Are you looking at
LDAO's VEC?  You might want to hit the "restore default categories" option
to capture the recent part-moves.

It's a good idea to look at the Technic category and maybe move stuff to
other (new or already-existing) categories.

Below are the counts of parts in each category.  These might be slightly
off from the plain-vanilla, fresh-install part library -- I occasionally
edit the part files in my installation.  But it should be very close.

It also looks for the 0 CATEGORY statement, which is not as clean as it
should be.

The biggest category is Brick, followed by Technic.  These are both huge
categories.  What could be done to balance these?

On the flip side, can we do something to get rid of the categories with
only a few parts?  And generally balance things out.

Some stats:
Total parts:           ~1300
Total Categories          73
Categories with 9- parts  42

If we wanted to balance the number of categories against the number of
parts, we could shoot for about 37 categories with 37 parts in each
category.  Obviously, we wouldn't arbitrarily force the size or content of
a category just to get the magic number, but we can use the 37/37 as a
general guideline.  Also, we're eventually going to end up with 2000 to
3000 parts, so would it be better to have more categories or more parts in
each category, or some of each?

I've put some trivial suggestions for consolidating categories in the third
column below.

Category            Parts
Brick                 159
Technic               128
Plate                  89
Slope                  74
Minifig                73
Baseplate              56
Tile                   52
Train                  49
Hinge                  47
Electric               34
Door                   33
Panel                  32
Windscreen             30
Window                 25
Space                  22
Castle                 20
Wing                   20
Wheel                  19
Car                    17
Container              16
Tyre                   16
Hose                   14
Roadsign               14
Arch                   13
Bar                    12
Flag                   12
Glass                  12
Homemaker              12
Minifig Accessory      11
Plant                  10
Wedge                  10
Boat                    9   Wing, Round, Wedge, Window
Town                    9   Minifig (Accessory), Round, Car, Equipment
Conveyor                8   Equipment
Support                 8
Tractor                 8   Equipment
Tipper                  7   Equipment
Arm                     6
Bracket                 6
Cone                    6   Round
Garage                  6
Tail                    6   Wing
Antenna                 5   Bar
Fence                   5
Jack                    5   Equipment
Turntable               5   Hinge
Crane                   4   Equipment
Freestyle               4
Gate                    4   Fence
Ladder                  4   Equipment
Magnet                  4
Cylinder                3   Round
Exhaust                 3   Round
Grab                    3   Arm
Lever                   3   Hinge, Minifig
Rack                    3   Gears
Rotor                   3   Plane
Scala                   3
Trailer                 3   Car