 CAD / 9999
Re: Crazy, OK Heretical Idea ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 14 May 2003 00:23:30 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Steve Bliss writes:
Well, actually I don't know how most gaming engines work.

I was under the impression that they ALL use texture mapping nowadays
to get more detail with less polygons.

Sorry, I wasn't clear:  I know they use texture-mapping, but I don't
know if they're more like raytracers, or more like z-bufferers.  I guess
it probably isn't comparable/answerable, since they all rely on graphics
hardware (or software emulators if the hardware isn't present).

BUT, I still want to know -- is there a
texture-mapping algorithm that mere mortals can use and implement in a
z-buffer renderer?

Sure.  Just do a google search for Texture Mapping Code.  Here's an
example from the first batch of hits.

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Horizon/6933/texture.html

Hmm.  That's almost decipherable (I only skimmed it - the idea looks
pretty straightforward). :)

Actually if you add something like PutPixel or VGA to the search terms
you might get even better links.  (Easier for mere mortals to follow)

Thanks very much for pointing the way! :)

Steve