 CAD / 9891
Re: Crazy, OK Heretical Idea ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 1 May 2003 16:05:01 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Kyle McDonald wrote:

I would think that some sort of 'material' definition would
definitely be useful, to give these (reflection etc.) types
of hints to a renderer.

Defining the material would be one side of the issue.  We (ie, the LSC)
could adopt/adapt the LDLite COLOR statement to handle materials.

My question is really on the technical side: I'm somewhat aware of the
technique of texture-mapping, but I don't know if that can be achieved
in renderers like LDLite (without major changes to the rendering
engine).

If that's possible, would it be possible to implement some kind of
gray-scale 'pearlescent' texture-mask, that could be combined different
color values to achieve a rendered surface?  There are a number of
different pearlescent 'colors' already, it'd be nice to have a single,
flexible, open-ended technical solution that could address them all.

From what I've seen, there has not been a pearlescent part that uses a
color other than the established LEGO colors.

For example, I've seen pearlescent versions of:
Tan (C3P0 minifig)
Sand Blue (Jango Fett figure)
Dark Gray (Bionicle mask)
Gray (Bionicle container lid)

I'm not sure that 'textures' themselves are required, but then
again, Textures may be a better way to do printing and stickers
on bricks so....

That's possibly true.  But 'better' might not be the right word.  It
would definitely be easier and faster to produce patterned part files by
scaning printed bricks, making raster files, and apply those rasters to
brick surfaces.  But the vector files we create now generally give more
pleasing results at different scales.

Steve