 CAD / 10017
Re: Crazy, OK Heretical Idea ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 14 May 2003 01:25:07 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Steve Bliss writes:
Yes, there's been several different pearlescents.  Mostly in Bionicle
products.

     There are also a few in Star Wars, Spybotics, and Racers, but I can't
recall ever seeing any that didn't come in Technic sets.

Some of the colors include tan, gray, dark gray, and sand blue.  The >pearlescence appears (to my eye) to be mixed in throughout the material, not >just a surface treatment.  Hmm, I wonder what would it look like if I cut >through a pearlescent part?

     Pretty much the same all the way through.  Sorta.  The metallic colors
are produced by using a different type of coloring agent than the solid
colors.  Solid colors use coloring agents that effectively stain the carrier
plastic, making them permanent (well, aside from stuff like sun-fading).
Metallic colors are produced by suspending solid flakes in a transparent or
translucent carrier plastic.  The result is that the pigment reflects light
in all kinds of freaky ways (thus the dark banding), the odd effect goes all
the way through, and you're not actually seeing color in the very outer
surface (for a better idea of what I'm talking about, look at the "star"
flecks in the Podrace bucket).  Another annoying side effect is that the
pigment flakes can settle out in the plastic, causing some pieces to look
more translucent when formed.  This is very noticable in some of the Toa
Nuva weapons, which were released with so little metallic pigment that they
have a milky look to them, and the most infamous instance was when someone
claimed that the copper Huna released at the European LEGOLAND parks was
formed in a different color than the one released through North American TRU
stores (which is not true at all).

     Here's the extensive, but probably not complete list of metallics that
I've been able to identify so far (not including painted parts, like the
gold/silver pieces in the Technic C-3PO set):

Silver #1: Technic Darth Vader lightsaber hilt
Silver #2: metallic silver Kanohi (Krana packs, contains slight green tint)
Silver #3: Toa Nuva armor & weapons/Bohrok-Kal hand-shields/Spybotics various
Silver #4: Exo-Toa RoboRider heads
Silver #5: Technic Jango Fett/Exo-Toa Technic fairing panels
Silver #6: Bohrok-Kal hip-joints
Silver #7: "protodermic" Kanohi Nuva (Krana-Kal packs)
Silver #8: "pearl" Krana-Kal; rubber
Silver #9: Mask of Light, used as Makuta's hands (due out in July, might be
the same as #7?)
Silver #10: Just kidding.  Mostly.  (see the note on can/pod tops*)

Gold #1: metallic gold Kanohi (Krana packs)
Gold #2: Taka Nuva armor & mask
Gold #3: "bronze" Krana-Kal; rubber

Copper #1: copper Kanohi Huna & Komau (LEGOLAND exlusives, Huna also
released through North American TRU stores)
Copper #2: "copper" Krana-Kal; rubber

Grey #1: "iron-grey" Krana-Kal; rubber
Grey #2: Cahdok/Gahdok/Racers Technic panel fairings
Grey #3: Racers RoboRider heads
Grey #4: Racers liftarms

Blue #1: Technic Super Battle Droid
Blue #2: "steel-blue" Krana-Kal; rubber
Blue #3: Nitro Stunt Bike (Toa Nuva chest armor)

Green #1: Technic SUV/Dune buggy
Green #2: "metallic green" Krana-Kal; rubber

     *And that's not including the twelve colors used for the Toa can tops
and the Bohrok pod-lids (it looks like there's only six, but the Bohrok used
lid colors that were slightly different from the Toa lids).  It also doesn't
include any metallic crinkle hoses (I've seen silver, gold & grey), the thin
flexible hoses (I've seen silver, gold, and grey), the rubber axles (I've
seen silver and grey), or anything that I'm not currently aware of, and the
upcoming Hockey sets might include one or two new shades of silver.  Also, a
lot of the differences in appearances might be the result of those pieces
being formed in differen plastic.  I've noticed that there are about half a
dozen different types of plastic, and about half a dozen different types of
rubber used for various pieces.