 CAD / 9998
Re: Crazy, OK Heretical Idea ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 14 May 2003 00:14:14 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Don Heyse wrote:
I see what you mean.  We've actually started doing this for certain
materials such as gold, silver, chrome, and rubber.  Ldview and
ldglite already tinker with the specular properties for some of these
materials based on the predefined color numbers.  However, does
pearlescent material come in more than one color?

Yes, there's been several different pearlescents.  Mostly in Bionicle
products.  Some of the colors include tan, gray, dark gray, and sand
blue.  The pearlescence appears (to my eye) to be mixed in throughout
the material, not just a surface treatment.  Hmm, I wonder what would it
look like if I cut through a pearlescent part?

Cloth, and bumpy certainly do.  I suppose we could set aside whole ranges of colors
for different materials like we do for the transparent colors.

Maybe.  Although I've been thinking that the bit-assignment approach
(ie, transparent color codes have bit 5 set) won't work, long-term.

Also, I'm guessing that most 'cloth' parts won't be available in a
different material.  It's probably the same for nearly all other
materials -- rubber, POM, ABS, metal, etc.  So those should *probably*
be specified in the part file.  But some materials - pearlescence,
'chrome', maybe transparency - could/should be specified as part of a
color/material code in the model (am I repeating myself from earlier?
Sorry if I am).

So how's this idea: allow definition of a material to be part of a color
code.  So you could write something like:

   0 // COLOR is LDLite color def, COLORMAT associates a material
   0 // with a color code.
   0 COLOR 51 pearltan  6 247 231 173 255 247 231 173 255
   0 COLORMAT 51 pearlescent

where 'pearlescent' would be predefined, but the parameters for a
non-predefined material could be supplied instead.  If I knew what those
parameters could be, I'd spell them out -- we seem to need at least a
SPECULAR treatment, at least.

Then we could implement 'default materials' for parts that operate if
the color-code doesn't have an overriding material.  So a minifig cape
would have a line like:

   0 MATERIAL_DEFAULT cloth

in the part file, but if a specified silver-chrome for a cape, it would
be rendered all shiny instead of cloth-rough.

My personal feeling is that the vector versions currently used for
printed decorations should still always be provided.

True.  But newer parts might have lower-quality vector definitions, just
as backups, if high-quality texture-mapped definitions are generally
included, and handled by most renderers.

Steve