 CAD / 9873
Re: Crazy, OK Heretical Idea ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 1 May 2003 01:54:14 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Kyle McDonald writes:

Steve Bliss wrote:

How do these formats do with the number of triangles normally found in an
LDraw model?  My impression is that these formats (and their rendering
engines) normally deal with far fewer triangles/quads than LDraw.

That's my impression also. They seem to be oriented towards
(relatively) lower polygon counts, and increased usage of
textures. They use the textures to achieve the details so
that they don't need to bog down the system with more vertices
and polygons.

OK, so that leads to one of my desires in an upgraded (or different) GDL:
level-of-detail control.  Basically, there should be language elements that
allow authors to flag the priority of different elements in a file -- so the
main outside body of a brick could be flagged as high-priority/low detail,
the studs could be flagged as medium, and the insides could be marked as
low-priority.  That way, when fast-drawing is required, only the
high-priority objects would be rendered.  When high-quality rendering is
needed, all objects would be rendered.

Yes! LOD would be very useful. There are several general purpose
LOD methods out there, but again we may be able to improve
performance or ease a renderer's job, by supplying even more
information in a part file.

Polygons, could be flagged as belonging to the front, back,
top, bottom, left, right, (or always drawn) of a brick, so
that a render could easily know which polygons to leave out
when another brick was placed on top or next to this one.

The shear number of polygons that could be eliminated from
most models this way is probably *enormous*.

-Kyle

--
                                    _