 CAD / 4699
Re: some thoughts on ldraw parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 12:30:28 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.cad, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
Instead of having to remember whether the "rollbar" is a 1x2 tile with a rod,
or a tile with a handle, or a rod with a base I would want to be able to
say "show me all the parts that are rod system compatible" and another time
say "show me all the parts that have clips on them" and get some of the same
parts both ways.

Hmm.  Maybe we should more actively pursue a standard list of KEYWORDS,
things like hinge, bar (or rod), clip, etc...

A keyword field can be a very good way to implement this.

At one time, I was running an RPG which had a single set of spells, but
different types of spell casters could use different ones. I was using a
database on the Apple II which had a keyword field, so I just put each type of
spell caster which used a particular spell into the keyword field for that
spell. I was then able to generate lists for each type of spell caster very
easily. I have never since seen a database which implements that (though of
course you can do it in a relational database, and a RDBMS can be much more
powerfull, but sometimes all you need is a simple keyword system, so why have
to have two tables, and go to lots of effort to build querys).

The good thing about providing multiple to multiple relationships (whether
using a keyword system or a full RDBMS) is that a user can add their own
keywords. Part names should also be done with this kind of system.

Frank