 CAD / Development / 5358
Re: part skins (was Re: some thoughts on ldraw parts)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 00:18:54 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.cad, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

I feel this suggestion as worded combines two different, separable ideas, • both
of which merit discussion.

Whoa.  Deja vu.

We were composing at the same time I think, and independently posted. Either
that or its some sort of Ada resonance.

... allow decorated versions of parts to be a subtree of a
particular part. • [snip]
We (that is, design tool authors and the file naming standards body) ought to
adopt this one.

I'm not seeing how this affects file-naming standards, except from the POV
of not changing what we're doing.

Continue to enforce the naming convention for decorated parts that makes it
easy to derive what the base part is from the decorated name and vice versa
(in teh sense that the decorated name is a tack-on)

Also, do you (or anyone) have any suggestions for modifying the Partsref
site to follow this standard?  Using a folder-metaphor doesn't really apply
-- it'd end up with a folder (on the left-hand) for "Bricks" with a list of
subfolders under it like "Decorated Brick 1 x 1", "Decorated Brick 1 x 2",
"Decorated Brick 1 x 3", etc.

More likely, I'd simply remove decorated parts from the main lists, and add
links to each relevant plain-part, leading to another page with the
decorated pieces.

A popup decorated viewer/selector in MLCad maybe?
A related problem (for me, anyway) is the proper reduction of colors in
scanned images.  Reducing the colors before running the image through the
polygon-izer would lead to better results, because there'd be less 'noise'
in the image.  But the graphics programs I've run into haven't given me
good results when reducing colors -- most of them don't go to the right
number of colors, or they don't allow you to set up the target-palette, or
whatever.

Need this as a user exit to some scanning/image processing program. Todd's
mosaic maker actually does a good job of this... the technology ought to be
leveragable. Pick the pallete and force choosing from that palette. Then
ignore error dithers.