 CAD / Development / 5344
Re: part skins (was Re: some thoughts on ldraw parts)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 15:32:18 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

I feel this suggestion as worded combines two different, separable ideas, both
of which merit discussion.

Whoa.  Deja vu.

... allow decorated versions of parts to be a subtree of a
particular part. • [snip]
We (that is, design tool authors and the file naming standards body) ought to
adopt this one.

I'm not seeing how this affects file-naming standards, except from the POV
of not changing what we're doing.

Also, do you (or anyone) have any suggestions for modifying the Partsref
site to follow this standard?  Using a folder-metaphor doesn't really apply
-- it'd end up with a folder (on the left-hand) for "Bricks" with a list of
subfolders under it like "Decorated Brick 1 x 1", "Decorated Brick 1 x 2",
"Decorated Brick 1 x 3", etc.

More likely, I'd simply remove decorated parts from the main lists, and add
links to each relevant plain-part, leading to another page with the
decorated pieces.

Most likely, the part-search engine would remain unchanged.

2. Skins, or a more graphical way of describing decorations that allows more
people to participate in creating decorated elements. • [snippity-snip]
Decoration authors... would this program make things easier? You would start
with a scan of the decorated element and end up with the collection of
polygons that did the decorated face.

Heck, yeah!  Well, generally.  There are a number of new decorations with
half-toned effects.  I'm not sure a scan-based system would be able to deal
with that kind of image.

A related problem (for me, anyway) is the proper reduction of colors in
scanned images.  Reducing the colors before running the image through the
polygon-izer would lead to better results, because there'd be less 'noise'
in the image.  But the graphics programs I've run into haven't given me
good results when reducing colors -- most of them don't go to the right
number of colors, or they don't allow you to set up the target-palette, or
whatever.

Steve