 CAD / 4679
RE: some thoughts on ldraw parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 14:03:07 GMT

Larry wrote:

I pick a piece to be the origin, place it, then just start piling one of each
piece that I need into the model somewhere below the origin piece. Gathering
all the plates (or bricks, or windows, or clips) you need at once is way
faster than getting them as you need them. (this works only if you have the
subassembly physically in front of you, it doesn't work if you are making
stuff up from your imagination, but then I don't usually do that) Then move on
to the next category and do it again, and so on.

Not surprisingly, this is exactly what happens in circuit board layout. You
draw a schematic, and then generate a parts list and net list. The PCB layout
tool then puts all of the parts in a corner (or wherever) and you move the parts
to where you need them.

I'm sure that we could do something like this with the set inventories. For example:

1. Given the Mindstorms Inventory, generate a DAT file with all of the parts
    in a virtual storage cabinet. (They're actually in the drawing off to one
    side - or on a hidden layer!)
2. Save the file with the name of your new project.
3. Move the parts around on the drawing to build up the model.
4. Erase the parts you haven't used.

That way, it would be relatively easy to build alternate models from ONLY
the parts in an existing set, which I find more challenging that picking
parts out of HUGE inventories....

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbForth>

Buy "Extreme Mindstorms: an Advanced Guide to Lego Mindstorms"
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1893115844/hempeldesigngrou>
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com