 CAD / 4690
Re: some thoughts on ldraw parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 09:40:01 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Adam Myers writes:
Please don't misunderstand me here.  Trust me, I as much as anyone depend on
these parts authors.  What it comes down to is with a rewpository if you
really want the minifig torso with the zipper pattern slightly cocked to the
left with the airplane badge and not in silver either  (probably doesnt exist
but I'm just giving an example here) then you can go on the web and download
it.  It sounds harsh but in order to make lcad programs of the future easier
to use for the general populace it's something that just makes sense to do. • [snip]
I'm not talking about wiping out half the parts library either here.  All I'm
suggesting is that a little housecleaning should be done as far as making
parts lists shorter.  This is not something that will happen overnight or
maybe even over the next year or two.  But it is something that needs to be
looked at seriously as new versions of lcad software become availiable.
There's tons of solutions out there to this problem.  In fact heres another
one:  Why not keep all the default parts among the normal parts lists and when
a part is selected have a pop-up window with possible decorated patterns for
that element.  Or even list it as a command to modify a piece on the toolbar
and avoid the pop-up window altogether.  This still keeps everything within
the program as far as decorated elements nut at the same time serves to
declutter the parts lists.

Speaking for me personaly, I happen to like it, as it is now. I want the part
library so complete as it possibly can be, and I want it sitting on my own
hard disk.

We should also remember that our programs are very internationaly orentated,
and that not everywhere on this world releable internet connections are up 24
hours a day. Furthermore, several users have complained on Lugnet about the
lack of variation in decorated torsos (and decorated parts in general) in the
past.

This is a kind of a mini-society, you can only try to achieve optimal
happieness for a as much individuals as possible. So, I would prefer your "In
fact here's another one:"-suggestion over the previous one.

Greetings, M. Moolhuysen