 CAD / 4684
Re: some thoughts on ldraw parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 03:24:22 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Steve Bliss writes:
Probably would be better to have 'palette files' that you can load into the
parts palette.  If we coded the set information into each part file, we'd
have to update large portions of the part-library every few months, as new
sets were released.

Steve

WOW!  I didnt realize that I had started such a discussion.  I think that the
parts palettes are a great idea.  That might be something for those working on
the artemis project to take a look at.

My annoyance from wading through endless seas of ldraw doesnt so much come
from going through parts but going through parts with with very basic
alterations.  I'll bring up minifig torsos again.  In the polling for the new
ldraw update there were 20 or 30 new torsos.  Be honest.  Do you really think
that if all the existing lego torsos were listed in the updates that most
ldraw users would even look twice at even a quarter of them.  So in situations
like this I think that a repository would be a great idea.  It allows people
to get the needed part with little inconvienience.  This might continue on to
decorated elements as well.  a solution to not having the needed part might be
to have a designated default part for each decorated element or torso.  This
would make a blank torso come up if the torso in the viewed model was not
availiable.

If the files for parts were hulking behemoths of data, download time would be
an issue.  But unless you have a really gimpy modem (btw i access most of the
time with a 28.8 connection) it shouldnt take you more than 10 seconds to make
the download for any given piece.  At least any that I've had to download
anyway.

I will say this though.  I use mlcad and have pretty much memorized where
certain parts are located within the sublists of parts.  I thought a lot about
this in the last couple days and have kind of come to terms that this wont
change immediately and that its really more of a future thing that should
garner some serious contemplation by the ldraw community as more parts that
look like other parts come about.

More thoughts,

Adam