 CAD / 4680
Re: some thoughts on ldraw parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 15:41:20 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.cad, Steve Bliss writes:
<snip>

I don't think that erasing parts is a good idea, you want every part you
possibly can get your hands on...

I agree, but Adam seemed to have made up his mind...

But it doesn't really solve the problem of finding the piece you want, when
you want it.  How are you going to find what you want, from the mass
library on the parts-server?

I think the problem in general is the hierarchical organisation scheme. Trees
are ALWAYS hard to search, mostly because of the stuff that doesn't fit
whatever division scheme was devised. If there were a way to get multiple
views into the data by criteria that would be a big help.

Yah, that would be good.  That's the reason for the 0 KEYWORDS
meta-statement on some newer part files: to provide a mechanism somewhere
between text-searching and categories and affinities.

Instead of having to remember whether the "rollbar" is a 1x2 tile with a rod,
or a tile with a handle, or a rod with a base I would want to be able to
say "show me all the parts that are rod system compatible" and another time
say "show me all the parts that have clips on them" and get some of the same
parts both ways.

Hmm.  Maybe we should more actively pursue a standard list of KEYWORDS,
things like hinge, bar (or rod), clip, etc...

Having just one partslst is confining. Even LDAO with its recategorization
doesn't completely help because a part can only go in ONE category.

Very true.  I'm just too lazy to implement a good multi-category system.

I will say this, what I do to speed up my work is gather parts for a
subassembly. I tried this on the trolley I just drew which was drawn the
fastest I have ever managed to draw something, given the size (400 parts), I
got it done in about 4 to 5 hours total over several sessions. (1/2 hour of
that was fiddling with the yellow tubing)

Something I've thought about for a long time is the concept of a part
palette: a window which you can populate with the elements you know you are
going to need.  There was some discussion about this awhile ago, even going
to down the path of saving palettes for later reuse, and restricting
construction to the loaded palette (for use in constructing alternate
models from one set, or in contests, or whatever).

Steve