 CAD / 4664
4663  |  4665
Subject:
some thoughts on ldraw parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sun, 24 Sep 2000 18:19:12 GMT

i was thinking today about how many parts within what exists for ldraw that I
actually use.  It occured to me that I really only use about 1/3 to one half
of what's in the program along with the updates.  And to boot I'm only using a
few parts out of each update.  I'm sure I'm not alone in this "flooding" of
ldraw components onto my pc.
I know that there are attmepts to trim out parts that arent up to spec or just
simply won't be used but this really doesnt seem like a good solution when I'm
wading through a directory of mini fig torsos.  I guess what my point is
coming to is that parts probably shouldnt be released in bulk updates as they
currently are, but instead placed as individual files in an online
repository.  This way ldraw and its realated programs can become more
customized according to how their users build instead of how the mass
community builds.
There are problems with this of course.  I could no longer import files to
ldraw unless I had all the applicable components within the program.  But
ldraw is used much more for file creation rather than file viewing.  so it
seems to make sense to me that the program should be aimed towards the builder
instead of those wanting to view instructions.

Just some thoughts
Adam