 CAD / 4697
Re: part skins (was Re: some thoughts on ldraw parts)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 10:35:18 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Adam Myers writes:
okay, were going to try and post something without getting anyone angry this
evening.

I don't think we where realy angry. It's basicly a good point you've bring
forward, and we encourage everyone to discuss subjects like these openly.
Please consider the reactions you've got more as different opinions than as
angry retaliations. They may have seemed a litte harsh to you at first glance,
but that is only because you made your example sound a little bit harsh too.
I understand you've mentioned the torso's as just an example of what you would
like to see different in the interface, And I believe we should try to find
the solution in the interface, instead of seeking it in the part definitions.

[snip]  It's starting to seem to me like the best
way in which to condense the menu system within lcad programs while at the
same time allowing facilitation for all current lcad elements within the
community would be to have "skins" for the parts. [snip]
Separating the graphic on a given part has some major advantages over just
creating parts thatstand as one unified piece.  One that really sticks out in
my mind is the ability to more easily create new parts.

The way patterned parts are handled in the Ldraw format, has been discussed
extensivly on this forum in the past. Several ideas have gone through a trial
and error proces, and what we have at the present is the outcome of that.
I'm not sure that what you call "skins" is exactly the same idea, but some of
us have tried to apply bitmaps on the suface of parts. Unfortunately this did
not produce very acceptable results.

Skins could basicly be created and edited using an editor.

What kind of editor do you mean ?

Well I think thats about it for tonight.  time to be kicked around for 24 more
hours.  Hopefully my supposed jyhad against minifig torsos has been nulified.

Don't take it personaly. We are only trying to take care of the welfare of the
Lcad legacy.

Most friendly greetings, M. Moolhuysen.