 CAD / 4698
4697  |  4699
Subject:
1-8sphe.dat tesselations compaire image
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 11:40:36 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Recently Travis Cobbs proposed to replace the existing 1-8sphe.dat primitive
with an alternative that uses a different tesselation of the sphere surface.
(tesselation is the way in wich a curved surface is represented by dividing it
into plane quads and/or triangles)

For the benefit of those who wand to have a say in this choice, I've
constucted an image where whan can compaire the effects of the proposed
tesselation agains the current one. This image can be viewed at:

http://members.ams.chello.nl/mmoolhuy/compaire.jpg

On the left is the proposed "Travis Cobbs"-method, which uses
16 triangles per sector.
On the right is te existing "James Jessiman"-method, which uses
9 quads and 4 triangles per sector.

Tecnical data of the picture:
The objects you see are two identical 4-4cyli.dat primitives (radius 100),
each topped with a dome consisting of four 1-8sphe.dat primitives of the
appropriate tesselation type.
I've rendered the picture with L3Lab,
Shading: on,
and Color Scheme: 3 Ldlite+Mlcad

Because Travis Cobbs proposed primitive hasn't type 5 lines yet, I've also
turned Show Line Type 5 off, to have a fair comparison.
The background has been manualy changed into white.

Greetings, M. Moolhuysen