 CAD / 4751
Re: 1-8sphe.dat tesselations compaire image
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 19:26:12 GMT

"Manfred Moolhuysen" <moom@nospamchello.nl> wrote in message
In lugnet.cad, Travis Cobbs writes:
Quite frankly, I have no idea what a 48 version would look like that
followed James' approach.  Would there be a single row of quads with the
rest being made up of triangles, or a bunch of rows of quads with a small
number of triangles ?

Travis, what do you think about this:
(please take a look at the following image)

http://members.ams.chello.nl/mmoolhuy/1-8sphe48.jpg

This tesselation matches the existing normal 1-8sphe.dat tesselation • closely,
all "even" points are identical to the points in the normal 1-8sphe • primitive.
Basicly I've divided all bands of the existing primitive in half.

The image is a wire-frame model I've made in AutoCad DWG-format. After
plotting it I've colored the faces in by hand, with MS-paint.

It does look good, but it is actually a 32 tesselation, not a 48 (32
segments around the equator of an entire sphere).  I assume the 48 version
could be generated using the same procedure and trisecting instead of
bisecting, but I'm not sure how easy that is.

Just out of curiosity, are the quads actually planar?  And if so, how close
are they to the surface of the sphere?  It is certainly a good proposition
for an extension of the standard tesselation to more vertices.  It's
probably even reasonable to do programatically, although I'm not sure off
the top of my head to do the trisecting, and whether that would be easy.

--Travis Cobbs (tcobbs@san.REMOVE.rr.com)