 CAD / 4678
Re: some thoughts on ldraw parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 13:34:48 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Steve Bliss writes:
<snip>

I don't think that erasing parts is a good idea, you want every part you
possibly can get your hands on...

But it doesn't really solve the problem of finding the piece you want, when
you want it.  How are you going to find what you want, from the mass
library on the parts-server?

I think the problem in general is the hierarchical organisation scheme. Trees
are ALWAYS hard to search, mostly because of the stuff that doesn't fit
whatever division scheme was devised. If there were a way to get multiple
views into the data by criteria that would be a big help.

Instead of having to remember whether the "rollbar" is a 1x2 tile with a rod,
or a tile with a handle, or a rod with a base I would want to be able to
say "show me all the parts that are rod system compatible" and another time
say "show me all the parts that have clips on them" and get some of the same
parts both ways.

Having just one partslst is confining. Even LDAO with its recategorization
doesn't completely help because a part can only go in ONE category.

I will say this, what I do to speed up my work is gather parts for a
subassembly. I tried this on the trolley I just drew which was drawn the
fastest I have ever managed to draw something, given the size (400 parts), I
got it done in about 4 to 5 hours total over several sessions. (1/2 hour of
that was fiddling with the yellow tubing)

I broke that into a bunch of subassemblies and they went together quickly.

I pick a piece to be the origin, place it, then just start piling one of each
piece that I need into the model somewhere below the origin piece. Gathering
all the plates (or bricks, or windows, or clips) you need at once is way
faster than getting them as you need them. (this works only if you have the
subassembly physically in front of you, it doesn't work if you are making
stuff up from your imagination, but then I don't usually do that) Then move on
to the next category and do it again, and so on.

With one of each piece in the sub at hand, already in the model and easily
available to grab, the work to draw the sub goes very quickly. Or so I found.
YMMV as I am no LDraw expert.

Also one other thing I tend to do is sort the parts into the instruction order
as I go. That helps too.

++Lar