 CAD / Development / 5365
Re: part skins (was Re: some thoughts on ldraw parts)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 16:29:48 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Demlow writes:

Yes indeedy, and coincidentally I slung together the beginnings of such a
program tonight.

Cool beans!

You feed it the outlines of the features of the printed
element, along with a "color seed" inside each colored region, and it
generates the triangles and colors them appropriately.

Define "feed" in this context... an ordered vertex list? That's still hard to
do, what is needed is an app that lets me create these regions superimposed on
a bitmap.

(Currently it
generates only triangles, but merging triangles into quads when appropriate
isn't hard.)  My code is really just a wrapper around Jonathan Shewchuk's
"Triangle" library ( http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~quake/triangle.html ), which
does all the hard stuff.

Ideally there would be a nice GUI on top of it that would let you draw the
outlines on top of a bitmap (scanned image of the printed part);

Er, ah, kind of like that.

Java2D
would make this both relatively easy and portable.  But even as a command
line tool it shows great promise.  The code needs some cleanup to be really
useful, but as soon as it's decent I will make it available.

I think this is an awesome start. Like I said, even I would spend some time on
doing decorated parts if it was easy to do.... :-)

++Lar