 CAD / 4459
4458  |  4460
Subject:
LDraw and the Registry (was: Re: More newbie questions)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 13:15:31 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Sproaticus wrote:

In lugnet.cad, Steve Bliss writes:
I hacked around with this a bit.  The necessity of having path-names really
limits the usefulness of this kind of utility, unfortunately.

Oh!  I forgot to mention that, since my LDraw tools are in the PATH, I was able
to omit path-names.  That .reg file is pretty much as-is from my machine.

Ah.  Hmm, that's a good reason to agree on a ldraw/bin/ directory (I hate
dumping stuff in /ldraw/, and my path is already a mile long).

Hmm, maybe I could build a Wise Install wizard, which
1. Allows the user to pick which file-types they want to register (DAT,
MPD, LDL, and/or LDS (did I miss any?)).
2. Locates all installed LDraw utilities (LDraw, LEdit, LDLite, L3Lab,
MLCAD, LDGLite, buildmpd, splitmpd, Textpad, etc.)
3. Builds registry entries as required.

That would rock.  Is there any way you could keep the tool list open, in case
more pop up later?

I think so--Wise is fairly open and customizable, but I've never played
around with it.

It would be very nice to package up the wizard with a small set of BAT
files, to make it easier to work with the various DOS-based programs from
Explorer.

Steve