 CAD / 4399
Re: More newbie questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 16:57:20 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Tim Courtney writes:
"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message
news:FzFzoF.BKq@lugnet.com...

MLCad isn't the only thing that one could associate with .cgi, • unfortunately.
That's why. (.Dat either..., like I  said before, we can't change it but • it
was a bad choice....)

Yup.  Its been proposed to change it to .ldr or something of the sort, but
never got off the ground.  Is there any way to change the standard on new
software and new releases of software, but still recognize old .dat files?
Gradually push the new format and eventually it will be changed??

It *could* be changed. Sort of.
Obviously, the new programs could be updated to recognize .ldr and retain .dat
as a valid file extension.
And LDraw and LEdit *could* be binary patched to REPLACE internal references
to .dat with .ldr - so LDraw and LEdit would then recognize and write .ldr
extensioned files INSTEAD OF .dat files.  In the case of LDraw and LEdit, it
is either one or the other, not both.
And then all the parts and primitives (and models) would have to be changed
to .ldr in order for LDraw and LEdit to use them.

The question is, do we want to go to all the trouble and do we want to (and
have the right to) make a fundamental change to the original files.

-- Terry K --