 CAD / 4395
Re: More newbie questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 16:23:39 GMT

"Sproaticus" <jsproat@io.com> wrote in message
news:399C0CBF.901134FE@io.com...
Tim Courtney wrote:
"Steve Bliss" <blisses@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
The file-type isn't registered correctly.  I don't know how to fix • this,
but I wouldn't associate CGI with MLCAD.
Why not?  AFAIK, that's the only way to do it, if you want it to be
automatic.

Some issues here:

1.  The automatic way of getting MLCad (or any DAT/MPD viewer) to launch
when you download a DAT or MPD file is to register the correct mime type
with MLCad.  (1)  LUGNET serves DAT content as mime type
"application/x-ldraw", so you need to associate MLCAD.EXE with the mime • type
"application/x-ldraw".

Alrighty.

2.  Many CGI scripts serve files, which your browser could conceivably • save
as "something.cgi".  Would you like to load just *anything* with MLCad?

No, I wouldn't.  But I haven't run across a case yet where I have.

3.  "Save As", give a filename.  It's a long and convoluted process, I
know, but it actually helps you remember what downloads went where.  ;-)

Which brings me to some ideas I was going to use to organize all the DAT
files I have, both mine and others'

When I put the whole LDraw shebang back on my PC (today sounds like a good
day!), I'm going to organize files to kill the pileup in the standard
models/ folder.  A year or more ago, someone suggested a models/authors/
dir - which I have in place, and now I think I'll move everything to.  Then
I'll go further than that and make subdirs for each creation, keeping dat
files out of the way of each other.

I wonder if anyone has done this before?
--

Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com

ICQ: 23951114
AIM: TimCourtne