 CAD / 258
Re: [LDAO] Editor Feedback requested
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 17 Nov 1998 00:45:39 GMT

blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve Bliss) writes:

[...]
Sort of.  Part of the discussion is that some users like 1-keystroke
commands when modeling for LDraw.  But those semi-mnemonic commands
conflict with the full text-editing capabilities which may be
necessary in an authoring tool.

Can you make maybe a keyboard mapping definition file associating keys or
key-combinations to functions?  Let users define their own keycaps?  Maybe
for someone F makes sense for File, and for someone else, Ctrl-F or Ctrl-O.

[...]
There are vocal group A members who like to use short keyboard
commands for their activities, the shorter and more powerful, the
better.  But there is also an assumption that some users would want
more mouse-based operations.

IMO, mouse commands are great for beginners, but experts want keyboard
commands because they're faster and less prone to RSI if mapped well.  If
there's any way to define the core functionality in terms of a named
function list with keyboard/mouse mapping, that's the way to go -- it lets
group A people have one mapping and group B people have another mapping.
There are also people who use -both- mouse and keyboard -- in Photoshop, for
example, you pretty much -have- to use the mouse (or some other input
stylus) in one hand, but you get to use the other hand to quick-select
brushes and palette tools.  That's really a slick way to go.

--Todd