 CAD / 294
Re: [LDAO] Editor Feedback requested
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 20 Nov 1998 13:00:05 GMT

Once upon a time, sparre@sys-323.risoe.dk (Jacob Sparre Andersen)
wrote:

Steve Bliss wrote:

Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:

If you want to use the instructions paradigm, then the
proper solution is most likely to let the user have an
option for handling every line as a separate step.

Wow.  That could mean hundreds of step-images, for large models at
least.

Yes, but I would probably not keep more images at a time
than what's needed to fill the screen/window.

Right.  Or keep just a few more off-screen images, for interactive
performance.

If there was a set of maps (color, z-buffer and part) for each
element, these could be quickly combined into the display images.

It should of cause be possible to choose a part by pointing
at it on the drawings (not as hard as it might sound).

True.  I can think of two approaches of the top of my head (use math
to do 3D hit-testing, or build a part-bitmap during rendering, and
lookup the clicked pixel in the part-bitmap).  But that doesn't help
if someone accidently hides a piece.

I was thinking of a part-bitmap. I think 3D hit-testing is
slower, even counting the time to make the part-bitmap.

Probably.  There's not a large overhead in building the part-bitmap
during rendering.  But it does cost some extra memory.  The 3D
hit-testing shouldn't be too bad, with proper implementation (pre-sort
parts by bounding boxes, etc).

| Now, can someone figure out a solution to the problem of using the
| mouse to drag parts around the drawing?

What makes most sense to me is that you only move the part
in a plane parallel to the image. - You move the pointer in
that plane, so you move the part in that plane. - This will
of cause demand more than one drawing window to create a
model (I would use four: top, side, front, and 3D).

Good idea.  Might cause some problems (for the user) in the 3D view,
because the dragged parts would end up with a lot of decimal places in
the position compoments.  Unless the editor included snap-to functions
(also a good idea for a LEGO modeling editor).

Steve