 CAD / 250
Re: [LDAO] Editor Feedback requested
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 16:31:10 GMT

Karim wrote:

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

2 - lugnet.com started out at 80% and I am glad it did. Todd didn't
wait. I'd like to think that a small part of that was my urging. It's
not at 100% yet, there's lots more good stuff to come, I believe, but
it's gotten better already and we all got benefit out of it right out of
the chute.

Speaking as an Industrial Designer :-) something as fundamental as an interface
paradigm cannot be easily changed once implementation is begun.  Not that you
have to have all features working on the first try, but if you get halfway
through the implementation and then discover that your basic interface plan
doesn't work (or worse... works, but sucks), you have to go back and re-work
everything.  We're not talking about "which button does what"... that can be
figured out later for the most part.  What we're talking about here is "will the
program need to do this at all"  which IMO needs to be decided before you start
writing it.

--Kairm

Well I agree with that. In rereading the stuff I posted on this (at 3 AM
saturday) I may have come across as a little argumentative. Steve should
be free to do this however he sees fit, it is after all a labor of love.
I can still advocate using an industry standard OO language like Java
(1) instead of a vendor specific OO wannabe like VB, though.

Some discussion of how the underlying paradigm ought to be structured
would be beneficial. But we're already past that, talking about which
control keys do what.

So let's drop back a bit. Who are the users? How do they do their job
now, and how do they WANT to do their job later? What process do they
follow? Should that process be changed?  Are there two distinct classes
of users? Do some people belong to both classes? Should the paradigms be
different or similar? Why or why not?

Discuss.

1 - as to which: I would use the Swing components for the UI. Use
Symantec Visual Cafe' for the IDE. Avoid Visual J++.  Why Java? One
reason not mentioned yet is that at some point the UI or some components
of it could be web-ized as an applet. That will never happen with VB.

- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.