 CAD / 299
Re: [LDAO] Editor Feedback requested
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 20 Nov 1998 21:27:25 GMT

Once upon a time, Paul Gyugyi <paul@gyugyi.com> wrote:

One thing that would be easy to do in ldlite is store a mapping from
each pixel to the line number of the top-level .dat file.

Yes, that's what Jacob and I are saying.

With a (as-yet-non-existant) tight integration between LDAO and LDlite,
a mouse click in the ldlite window could cause the curser in the
editor window to jump to that line.  Likewise, selecting a line (or
lines)
in the editor could ask ldlite to highlight all pixels belonging to
the line(s).

You said it!

If you go to a step-oriented interface, with a 'filmstrip' of steps at
the side of the image window, it becomes easy to jump back and forth
to a particular step of the image.  This does a good job of
side-stepping the problems of selecting hidden bricks, since every
brick should be visible in at least one step.  For the "modellers"
reading this, STEPs can be thought of as nothing more than convenient
bookmarks to jump to, and removed later.

Could the LDLite/LDAO combo be intelligent enough to know when one or
pieces has been hidden, and auto-insert a step?  If the user has
enabled such behavior, of course.

Tying the pixels to line numbers in the top-level file lets you handle
sub-parts as one group.  LDlite knows the include-depth at all times,
so it could probably return a "call stack" and line numbers.  Oh golly,
this is starting to sound like a debugger!  My goodness, do we need
a "Visual LDraw '99" development environment? Fun stuff!

Probably returning just the depth and line number would be good.
Well, maybe a filename and a line number.  Since files can be reused
at different depths.  That way, if the user has multiple files open
for editing (I'm think like a parts-author here), LDAO could
interoperate with a single view from LDLite.

I'd better get my basic "LEdit for Windows" program done, so we can go
on to something more fun. :)

Gotta go!
Steve