 CAD / 297
Re: [LDAO] Editor Feedback requested
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 20 Nov 1998 17:40:48 GMT

One thing that would be easy to do in ldlite is store a mapping from
each pixel to the line number of the top-level .dat file.

With a (as-yet-non-existant) tight integration between LDAO and LDlite,
a mouse click in the ldlite window could cause the curser in the
editor window to jump to that line.  Likewise, selecting a line (or
lines)
in the editor could ask ldlite to highlight all pixels belonging to
the line(s).

If you go to a step-oriented interface, with a 'filmstrip' of steps at
the side of the image window, it becomes easy to jump back and forth
to a particular step of the image.  This does a good job of
side-stepping the problems of selecting hidden bricks, since every
brick should be visible in at least one step.  For the "modellers"
reading this, STEPs can be thought of as nothing more than convenient
bookmarks to jump to, and removed later.

Tying the pixels to line numbers in the top-level file lets you handle
sub-parts as one group.  LDlite knows the include-depth at all times,
so it could probably return a "call stack" and line numbers.  Oh golly,
this is starting to sound like a debugger!  My goodness, do we need
a "Visual LDraw '99" development environment? Fun stuff!

-gyug

Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:

Steve Bliss wrote:

If there was a set of maps (color, z-buffer and part) for each
element, these could be quickly combined into the display images.

You seem to be reading my mind. :-)

Unless the editor included snap-to functions (also a good
idea for a LEGO modeling editor).

Yes, but we would have to add information about how the
parts stick together to the files.

Play well,

Jacob

           --  E-mail: Jacob.Sparre.Andersen@risoe.dk  --
           --  Web...: <URL:http://hugin.risoe.dk/>    --

LEGO: MOC+++c TO+++(6543) TC+++(8880) AQ+++ BV-- #++ S LS++ A-/+ YB72m